Sunday, March 14, 2010

Butter Pound Cake

This recipe is sooo good for a pound cake. It turns out so moist. And if you love lemons (like me) or strawberries (which I can't have), you will love the variations
Butter Pound Cake
2 sticks margarine
1/2 cup Crisco lard
3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
3cups plain flour
5 eggs

Mix together margarine, crisco, sugar & eggs until smooth. Add flour and milk alternately until blended. Add flavoring. Pour in greased & floured tube pan. Plce in COLD oven & bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour: then 350 degrees for 30 min or until done. I stick a knife in and if it comes out clean, it's done.

Glaze
Blend 1 cup of powdered sugar and enough milk to make it smooth. Pour over cake while warm.

Lemon variation
Substitute 2 tsp. lemon flavoring for vanilla flavoring in cake. Substitute lemon juice for milk in glaze. This is soooo lemony and delicious. My family favorite.

Strawberry variation
Don't glaze the cake. Cut some strawberries in half, add sugar and set in covered bowl in fridge overnight before baking cake. Serve spooned over warm cake, with whipped topping. (This was my favorite before I became so allergic to strawberries.) I hope you enjoy. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh this sounds delicious! Oh boy, lard too?? I haven't bought lard for years and years...can I use margarine instead? I KNOW it will be wonderful because you are a fantastic cook! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete